Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
Weight Loss Surgery Requirements
Body Mass Index, also known as BMI, is a formula based on your height and weight which determines your weight classification. It is one of a number of bariatric surgery requirements that will help determine whether are a weight loss surgery candidate. Use our BMI calculator to get started.
Calculate Your BMI
Calculate your BMI score using the calculator below.
You may be a candidate for bariatric surgery if:
- If your BMI is between 35 and 39.9 and you have severe obesity-related medical conditions
- If your BMI is 40 or greater, with or without obesity related medical conditions
Other Factors to Know
While scheduling a consultation is the only way to determine whether you are a candidate for weight-loss surgery, this checklist will help you get started:
- BMI greater or equal to 40 or more than 100 pounds overweight
- BMI equal to or greater than 35 with obesity related conditions, including Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea
- Inability to achieve a healthy, sustained weight loss for a period of time with conventional, non-surgical methods
|18.5 – 24.9||Normal Weight||Minimal|
|25 – 29.9||Overweight||Increased|
|30 – 34.9||Obese||High|
|35 – 39.9||Severely Obese||Very High|
|40 and Over||Morbidly Obese||Extremely High|
Other Weight Loss Procedure Options:
If you do not qualify for bariatric surgery, we still have options for you. Our outpatient weight loss balloon procedures are suitable for those with a BMI between 30-40 and do not require surgery.